To provide a greater understanding on the impact of culture in communication, leadership and negotiation styles.
Who should attend:
Duration: 2 days
Cross cultural communication at work, in order to be effective and productive, must be managed. This means ensuring that staff, managers and senior employees all appreciate what it takes to work with (and in) different cultures. Such an appreciation may come naturally to people who are well travelled, with mixed heritage or simply have good communication skills; others are less flexible and may struggle to show empathy towards others who do or think differently. Although it is the latter that may need more specialist attention, all employees will benefit from learning about cross cultural communication at work.
This course is offered in conjunction with our partner, Sales Training International, based in the UK. The course focuses on the impact of culture upon communication in the workplace, and how different cultures view their cultural norms of communication as being ‘normal’ and therefore other styles as ‘abnormal’. It helps participants address this problem, giving them greater understanding of both communication styles and how these affect the different ways different nationals will approach leadership, meetings, negotiations, etc. By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
• Define ‘What is Culture?’
• List the generic cultural traits of the people with whom they work
• Demonstrate an understanding of culture and its impact upon the working environment
• Demonstrate improved communication skills
• Explain the different styles of working with people of different cultures
• Solve communication problems that occur due to culture
• Manage challenging situations that may be caused by differences in culture
The course focuses on:
- An Introduction to Cross Cultural Working
- The Basics of Effective Cross Cultural Communication
- Managing Across Cultures